Full name: Jan P. Schimmelmann
- Adress: Fahrenheitstrasse 19, B.3.6.1 | 28359 Bremen, Germany
- Tel: +49 0174 4143416
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://eosvnu.net/members/jan-schimmelmann/
Education & Certifications
- Bremen University, Bremen, Germany;
- Expected Graduation 07/2018;
- Master of Science in Physical Geography, Environmental History;
- Studies include: Climatology, Archaeobotany, Lacustrine Environmental Archives;
- Thesis: Environmental Significance of Central Vietnamese Maar Sediment
- Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana, USA, 12/2014, Bachelor of Science in Geology
- Pelham-Ball Memorial Paramedic Program, Bloomington, Indiana, USA (3/2009 – 5/2010) EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician) Certification
Honors & Languages
- Dean’s List: Ball State University, Indiana, USA, Spring 2013, Summer 2014
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- Language Skills: English and German. Dual citizenship: United States of America, Germany
Vietnam Fieldwork, Vietnam National University (VNU) in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Led field work, created a lightweight and inexpensive sediment coring device for use in remote regions and in developing countries. Materials for its construction are readily available in Vietnam. Images from field work in a 21-meter deep maar lake in Vietnam are available here: https://eosvnu.net/projects/paleoclimate/.
- Measured radon environmental geohazards based in caves and home basements.
Field Geologist, EnviroForensics, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 3/2015 – 07/2016
- Tasks included field work crew oversight with communication to management on progress, findings and extensive field reporting based primarily on tetrachloroethylene contaminant throughout the state of Indiana.
- Groundwater data (collection of depths to create flow maps, creation of plume mapping based on physical and chemical properties collected on site).
- Soil properties (sediment mapping based on physical characteristics for the creation of favorable pathway maps for eventual remediation based on groundwater plume flow).
- Vapor Intrusion (VI) information from collection of outdoor canisters, indoor canisters, soil gas ports, as well as installation of sub-foundation ports.
- Installation and oversight of permanent forensic instruments from groundwater wells networks, VI ports for sub-foundation indoors and outdoors, soil gas ports. Installations were at times in close proximity with underground and overhead utilities.
- Office work involved data analysis, tabulation of findings, and subsequent creation of site reports for submission to government officials.
- Promoted to Staff Geologist shortly before enrolling in M.Sc. program at the University of Bremen.
- Dương Nguyễn-Thuỳ, Hướng Nguyễn-Văn, Jan P. Schimmelmann, Nguyệt Thị Ánh Nguyễn, Kelsey Doiron and Arndt Schimmelmann, 2019. 220Rn (thoron) geohazard in room air of earthen dwellings in Vietnam. Geofluids, Vol. 2019, Article ID 7202616, 11 pages; DOI: 10.1155/2019/7202616.
- Schimmelmann, Jan, Hướng Nguyễn-Văn, Dương Nguyễn-Thuỳ, Arndt Schimmelmann, 2018. Low cost, lightweight gravity coring and improved epoxy impregnation applied to laminated maar sediment in Vietnam. Geosciences (Special issue: New Theoretical and Applied Advances in Paleolimnology) 8 (5), 176. https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences8050176.
- Schimmelmann, J.P., H. Nguyễn-Văn, D. Nguyễn-Thùy, A. Schimmelmann, A.E.K. Ojala, B. Zolitschka, N. Nguyễn-Ánh, 2018. Monsoon-related rainfall recorded by mineral-rich flood layers in Vietnamese maar sediment. European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2018, 8-13 April 2018, Vienna, Austria. [https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/EGU2018-4222.pdf] or [Abstract PDF].
- Schimmelmann, A., H. Nguyễn-Văn, D. Nguyễn-Thùy, J.P. Schimmelmann, et al., 2018. Maar sediment in central Vietnam Highland near Pleiku: An archive of regional monsoon intensity? 7th International Maar Conference, 21-25 May, Olot, Spain, 2018. http://maar2018.com/ [Abstract PDF] [Poster PDF].
- Nguyễn-Văn, H., D. Nguyễn-Thùy, J.P. Schimmelmann, et al., 2017. Exploring the paleoenvironmental potential of laminated maar sediment in central Vietnam: An archive of regional paleo-flooding? PAGES Zaragoza 2017, 5th Open Science Meeting 325 in: http://pastglobalchanges.org/osm2017/downloads/osm-abstract-book-zaragoza-2017.pdf.