Xavier (or by nickname Xavi) is a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, University of Hawaiʻi, Honolulu, HI, United States.
Our current knowledge on the age and formation of maars in the Central Highlands Vietnam is quite limited, especially Bien Ho maar in Pleiku city. Based on an article we assumed that the age of Bien Ho maar lake is at least 200 ka. at which the last eruption phase had occurred in the area. It is not easy to determine the age of a maar if we don’t have access to a very deep drill core that has recovered the basal volcanic rock in the center of the maar, below the lacustrine sediment. The volcanic rocks from outcrops along the rim of the Bien Ho maar can possibly also partially derive from later volcanic activity in the area that was unrelated to Bien Ho.
Xavi is immensely interested in our maar project and was able to join the EOS team for fieldwork in Vietnam in February 2020 before Covid-19 essentially made international travel impossible. Xavi is very kind, honest, knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic. He knows a lot about maars, dating volcanic rocks, and how to identify tephra in sediment. Xavi will help our project and assist in understanding the volcanological basics of Bien Ho, also the hydrology which is very important for Pleiku.
After our amazing field trip to Bien Ho in March 2020, Xavi realized the high potential to prepare a specific project about its volcanism. Xavi indicated the possibility of a small submarine (eroded?) scoria cone at the west coast of Bien Ho. One sample collected at the small peninsula of the west coast is being dated with the Ar-Ar technique. The volcanic-stratigraphy of this part seems to be related to the maar formation as a final stage. Thus, with this absolute age, we will have the age of Bien Ho. The next step will be to characterize the composition of Bien Ho with a bulk rock analysis, mayor oxide, and trace elements of three samples. We now see much potential for future publications about the diatreme structure and evolution of Bien Ho maar and for a long-term collaboration as well.
- Full name: Xavier de Bolós
- Posdoctoral Researcher
- Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, University of Hawaiʻi, Honolulu, HI, United States
- Website: https://xavierbolos.wordpress.com/
- EOS website: https://eosvnu.net/members/our-experts/xavier/
- PhD. in Earth Sciences with the highest distinction (Cum Laude) and Honors. University of Barcelona, 2014
- MSc. in Geological Hazards with Honors. Faculty of Geology, University of Barcelona, 2011
- BSc. in Geology. Faculty of Science, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2010.
Professional experience and scientific activity
- 2018 – 2021, Posdoctoral Researcher (CONACYT – GEMex) Instituto de Geofísica, Unidad de Michoacán, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).
- 2018, Chair of the 7th International Maar Conference (7IMC) Catalonia, May 21 to 25, 2018.
- 2018, Chair of the Pre and intra-conference Field-trip of the 7IMC. May 18 – 25, 2018.
- 2016 – 2018, Posdoctoral Researcher (DGAPA – UNAM grant) Instituto de Geofísica, Unidad de Michoacán, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).
- 2011 – 2014, Geologist, employment contract at Barcelona Volcanology Group, Institute of Earth Science Jaume Almera – “Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas” (CSIC).
- July – November 2013, International predoctoral internship at “Institut des Sciences de la Terre d’Orléans” – CNRS. Working in experimental petrology in basaltic rocks. Supervised by Prof. Bruno Scaillet and Prof. Michele Pichavant.
- May 2012, Team member at ALCUDIA project. Seismic Imagine of the Iberian Peninsula. Institute of Earth Science J. Almera – CSIC.
- November 2011 and May 2012, Fieldworks in geophysics during the El Hierro submarine eruption.
- December, 2011, Predoctoral stay at University of Huelva. Supervised by Prof. Antonio Castro
- October 2011, Team member at RIFSIS project. Seismic Imagine of the Moroccan Rif. Institute of Earth Science J. Almera – CSIC.
- 2010-2011 (500 hours), Fellowship during the M.Sc at Institute of Earth Science J. Almera – CSIC.
- May 2010, Team member at SIMA project. Seismic Imagine of the Moroccan Atlas. Autonomous University of Barcelona and ICTJA – CSIC.
- July – September 2012, Fellowship during the B.Sc at Natural Park of La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone.
Teaching experience and outreach activity
- 2020, Professor of “Geothermics” of the B.Sc degree in Geoscience of ENES-UNAM, Morelia, Mexico..
- 2019, Assistant Professor of “Introduction to Geothermal Exploration” of the M.Sc degree in Earth Science of the UNAM, Mexico.
- February 2019, Co-organiser and Professor of the course “Geological heritage conservation in volcanoes. A tool for a sustainable development”. (15 hours) UNAM, Mexico.
- 2018, professor of Field Methods in Volcanology of the Postgraduate Course on Volcanology, led by Prof. Joan Martí. University of Girona. 30 hours.
- 2017-2018, professor of Volcanology of the Geoscience and Territory planification Master degree, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo, Morelia, México.
- August to December, 2017, Full professor of Quaternary Geology, Licenciatura en Geociencias. ENES – UNAM, Morelia, México. 72 hours.
- February to May, 2017, professor of Earth Science of the “posgrado UNAM”. ENES-Morelia, México. 50 hours.
- April to May, 2017, professor of Geological hazards of the Geoscience Master degree, UNAM- ENES, Morelia, México. 20 hours.
- February, 2017, co-chair and professor of the course “La conservación del patrimonio geológico en volcanes. Una herramienta para el desarrollo sostenible”. UNAM, México.
- December 17th , 2015, “The rootless volcanic cones of La Garrotxa” in the Christmas supplement of the “La Comarca” mainstream magazine.
- November, 2015, Collaboration in an outreach guide about the geology of Montsacopa volcano. Natural Park of Garrotxa Volcanic Zone. Catalan Government.
- October 2015, professor of Volcanotectonic and geophysical surveys of the Postgraduate Course on Volcanology, led by Prof. Joan Martí. University of Girona. 10 hours.
- Agost 27th, 2015, Prologue “The Garrotxa Volcanic Field” in the supplement of the “La Comarca” mainstream magazine.
- December 19th, 2014, Professional Guides Training Course on Natural Park of La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone.
- October 2014, professor of Volcanotectonic of the Postgraduate Course on Volcanology, led by Prof. Joan Martí. University of Girona. 10 hours.
- September 2014, Fieldtrip in the Natural Park of La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone. European Heritage Days and Museum of Olot Volcanoes.
- May 25th, 2014, Divulgative talk in Pre-BSc course (Bachillerato). IES La Garrotxa.
- March 22th, 2013, Fieldtrip for scholar students in the Natural Park of La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone.
- July 2011. Fieldtrip for geology students on La Garrotxa Volcanic Field. Huelva University (UHU).
Research projects participation
- 2019-2021 – Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACyT) Project FC 2016‐01‐2406. Magmatic plumbing system and eruptive time-recurrence in the most recently active volcanic zone in the state of Michoacán. A multidisciplinary study. Leader: José Luis Macías (UNAM). Amount: € 200,000.
- 2016-2021 – GEMex: Mexico-Europe cooperation for the investigation of improved geothermal systems and super-hot geothermal systems. Study of magmatic evolution and heat source in the Acoculco Caldera, Puebla: a comparative analysis between pre-caldera and post-caldera magmatism. CONACYT-SENER-Energy Sustainability Sector Fund. Leader: José Luis Macías (UNAM). Amount: € 400,000.
- 2018-2021 – The Plio-Pleistocene of Camp dels Ninots and the Pre-coastal depression: paleoclimatic evolved, dispersed. Project Dpt. Culture (Generalitat) CLT009/18/00052, 2018-2021. Leader: Jordi Agustí (IPHES). Amount: € 52,712.
- 2014-2018 – Mexican Center for Innovation in Geothermal Energy CEMIEGeo P15 Project: Geothermal exploration of La Primavera, Acoculco, and La Reforma volcanic complexes: volcanology, stratigraphy, geochemistry, and experimental petrology. Leader: José Luis Macias (UNAM). Amount: € 3,700,000.
- 2015-2018 – The Plio-Pleistocene of Camp dels Ninots and the Pre-coastal depression: paleoclimatic evolved, dispersed. Project Dpt. Culture (Generalitat) 2014/100575. Leader: Jordi Agustí (IPHES). Amount: € 62,474.62.
- 2014-2015 – Definition of exploitation and exploration guides for energetic and mineral resources in volcanic collapse calderas (CALECOM), (Spanish National Research Council) (I-LINK0774). Leader: Adelina Geyer (CSIC). Amount: € 26,000.
- 2011-2015 – Volcanic Unrest in Europe and Latin America: Phenomenology, eruption precursors, hazard foreCast, and risk mitigatiOn (VUELCO), European Commission (FP7-ENV-2011 282729), Coordinador: Joachim Gottsmann (University of Bristol) – Spanish Leader: Joan Martí (CSIC). Amount: € 417,000.
- 2011-2013 – Interpretation of the instability precursory phase of the 2011 El Hierro eruption, MICINN (CGL2011-16144-E (BTE subprogram)). Leader: Joan Martí. Amount: € 65,000.
- 2011-2012 – Determination of the age and hazards of the Crosa de Sant Dalmai volcano (Girona) MICINN (CGL2010-12338-E (BTE subprogram)), Leader: Joan Martí. Amount: € 11,000.
- 2011-2013 – Understanding the plutonic-volcanic connection in supervolcanoes (PLUVOL) MICINN (CGL2010-22022-C02-02 (subprograma BTE)), Leader: Joan Martí. Amount: € 90,000.
International peer-reviewed publications
- Bolós, X., Delgado‐Torres, A., Cifuentes, G., Macías, J. L., Boijseauneau‐López, M., Tinoco, C., Salguero, D. 2020. Internal structure and hydrothermal fluid circulation of Parícutin volcano, Mexico: Insights gained from near‐surface geophysics. Geophysical Research Letters, 47, e2020GL089270. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL089270
- Bolós, X., Cifuentes, G., Macías, J. L., Sosa‐Ceballos, G., Garcia‐Tenorio, F., Albor, M. 2019. Geophysical imaging of fluid circulations and its relation with the structural system of Cerritos Colorados geothermal field, La Primavera caldera (Mexico). Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 369, 238–249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2018.11.015
- Martí, J., Planagumà, L., Geyer, A., Aguirre-Díaz, G., Pedrazzi, D., Bolós, X., 2017. Basaltic ignimbrites in monogenetic volcanism: the example of La Garrotxa volcanic field. Bulletin of Volcanology 79, 33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-017-1113-0.
- Pedrazzi, D., Bolós, X., Barde-Cabusson, S., Martí, J. 2016. Reconstructing the eruptive history of a monogenetic volcano through a combination of fieldwork and geophysical surveys: the example of Puig d’Adri (Garrotxa Volcanic Field). Journal of the Geological Society 173 (6):875–888. http://dx.doi.org/10.1144/jgs2016-009
- Oms, O., Bolós, X., Barde-Cabusson, S., Martí, J., Casas, A., Lovera, R., Himi, M., Gómez de Soler, B., Campeny Vall-Llosera, G., Pedrazzi, D., Agustí, J. 2015. Structure of the Pliocene Camp dels Ninots maar-diatreme (Catalan Volcanic Zone, NE Spain). Bulletin of Volcanology 77, 98. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-015-0982-3
- Bartolini, B., Bolós, X., Martí, J., Riera, E., Planagumà, Ll. 2015. Hazard assessment at the Quaternary La Garrotxa Volcanic Field (NE Iberia). Natural Hazards (NHAZ) 78, 1349–1367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-015-1774-y
- Bolós, X., Martí, J., Becerril, L., Grosse, P., Planagumà, Ll., Barde-Cabusson, S. 2015. Volcano-structural analysis of La Garrotxa Volcanic Field (NE Iberia): implications for the plumbing system. Tectonophysics 642, 58–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2014.12.013
- Bolós, X., Planagumà, Ll., Martí, J. 2014. Volcanic stratigraphy of the Quaternary La Garrotxa Volcanic Field (NE Iberian Peninsula). Journal of Quaternary Science 29, 547–560. https://doi.org/10.1002/jqs.2725
- Bolós, X., Barde-Cabusson, S., Pedrazzi, D., Martí, J., Casas, A., Lovera, R., Nadal-Sala, D. 2014. Geophysical exploration on the subsurface geology of La Garrotxa monogenetic volcanic field (NE Iberian Peninsula). International Journal of Earth Sciences 103, 2255–2269. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00531-014-1044-3
- Pedrazzi, D., Bolós, X., Martí, J., 2014. Phreatomagmatic volcanism in complex hydrogeological environments: La Crosa de Sant Dalmai maar (Catalan Volcanic Zone, NE Spain). Geosphere 10 (1): 170–184. https://doi.org/10.1130/GES00959.1
- Barde-Cabusson, S., Gottsmann, J., Martí, J., Bolós, X., Camacho, A.G., Geyer, A., Planagumà, Ll., Ronchin, E.,Sánchez, A., 2014. Structural control of monogenetic volcanism in the Garrotxa volcanic field (Northeastern Spain) from gravity and self-potential measurements. Bulletin of Volcanology 76, 788. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-013-0788-0
- Barde-Cabusson, S., Bolós, X., Pedrazzi, D., Lovera, R., Serra, G., Martí, J., Casas, A. 2013. Electrical resistivity tomography revealing the internal structure of monogenetic volcanoes. Geophysical Research Letters 40(11), 2544–2549. https://doi.org/10.1002/grl.50538
- Martí, J., Castro, A., Rodríguez, C., Costa, F., Carrasquilla, S., Pedreira, R., Bolós, X. 2013. Correlation of magma evolution and geophysical monitoring at the 2011-2012 El Hierro (Canary Islands) submarine eruption. Journal of Petrology 54(7), 1349–1373. https://doi.org/10.1093/petrology/egt014
- Bolós, X., Barde-Cabusson, S., Pedrazzi, D., Martí, J., Casas, A., Himi, M., Lovera, R. 2012. Investigation of the inner structure of La Crosa de Sant Dalmai maar. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 247–248, 37–48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.08.003
Books, Chapters, Audiovisual products, Dissertations and Theses
- Co-director, co-producer, and scriptwriter of the Documentary “Parícutin. On the Other Side”, 2019. An oral compilation of the indigenous-communities history that suffered the eruption of Parícutin, presented with the scientific chronicle, intertwining geology and society. Co-produced by IGUM and LANMO of UNAM. https://vimeo.com/407808955
- Chapter: Martí, J., & Bolós, X. 2019. The Neogene-Quaternary alkaline volcanism of Iberia, in Quesada, C. and Oliveira, J. T. (eds) ” The Geology of Iberia: A Geodynamic Approach”, Volume 4: Cenozoic Basins, Springer. Regional Geology Reviews, 167–182. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-11190-8_6
- Field Guide: Xavier Bolós, Joan Martí, Oriol Oms, Gerard Campeny and Bruno Gomez. 2018. Monogenetic volcanism of the Catalan Volcanic Zone: Maar craters, scoria cones and rootless volcanoes of the Garrotxa volcanic field, and open fossil excavation in a Pliocene maar crater. Pre-Conference Field Trip, 7th International Maar Conference. ISBN: 978-84-09-01628-0
- Field Guide: Joan Martí, Xavier Bolós, Llorenç Planagumà. 2018. Natural Park of La Garrotxa volcanic field: magmatic vs phreatomagmatic activity. The role of the basement to control the eruptive dynamics. Intra-Conference Field Trip, 7th International Maar Conference. ISBN: 978-84-09-01629-7
- Chapter: Martí J, Bolós X, Planagumà Ll. (2017) Geological Setting of La Garrotxa Volcanic Field. In: La Garrotxa Volcanic Field of Northeast Spain: Case Study of Sustainable Volcanic Landscape Management. Edited by J. Martí and Ll. Planagumà. Springer International Publishing. p. 27-43. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-42080-6_2
- Chapter: Martí, J., Planagumà,. Ll., Bolós, X. (2017) Geosites and Geoitineraries. In: La Garrotxa Volcanic Field of Northeast Spain: Case Study of Sustainable Volcanic Landscape Management. Edited by J. Martí and Ll. Planagumà. Springer International Publishing. p. 69-83. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-42080-6_5
- Outreach book: Llorenç Planagumà, Xavier Bolós and Ona Corominas, 2015. The Rootless volcanoes of La Garrotxa Natural Volcanic Park.
- PhD: Xavier Bolós, 2014. Geological and structural controls on La Garrotxa monogenetic Volcanic Field (NE Iberia). University of Barcelona. http://hdl.handle.net/2445/61124
- MSc: Xavier Bolós, 2011. Combination of geophysical methods to characterize the internal structure and the infill of the La Crosa Sant Dalmai volcano (NE Iberian Peninsula). University of Barcelona and Autonomous Universtity of Barcelona.
- BS: Xavier Bolós, 2009. Characterization of the Montsacopa volcano and its surroudings. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- City of Olot Awards: Xavier Bolós, 2013. Structural controls of the volcanic activity of La Garrotxa from geophysical data. http://goo.gl/OGJVN6
Courses and seminars
- September 2015 (duration: 30 hours), Course on Volcanic Unrest, organized by VUELCO project. Olot, Catalonia.
- October 2014 (duration: 32 hours), Course on “Collapse calderas and their relationship to geothermic resources”, organized by Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico (UNAM), Instituto de Geofísica de Michoacán. Morelia (Mexico).
- October 2012 (duration: 125 hours), Postgraduate Course on Volcanology, organized by University of Girona.
- August 2010 (duration: 30 hours), Training Course on Field geology, organized by Lleida University and Catalan Geological Survey (IGC). Tremp (Catalonia).
- October 2008 (duration: 22 hours), International seminar: “Living with Volcanoes: Risks, benefits and environment, organized by International Consortium University Menendez Pelayo of Barcelona. Olot, Catalonia.
- July 2004, (duration: 35 hours), Training Course on Volcanism, organized by the Natural Park of La Garrotxa Volcanoes and the University of Girona. Olot, Catalonia.
Awards and other responsibilities
- Honorary ambassador of the City of Olot (Spain), since 2020.
- Scientific Advisory Committee of the 8th International Maar Conference. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia, August 2020 (postposed for Covid19). http://www.kscnet.ru/ivs/conferences/maar19-20/doc/8IMC_Abstract_volume_final.pdf
- Chair of the 7th International Maar Conference. Catalonia, Spain during May 2018. http://maar2018.com/local-committee/
- National Researchers System of Mexico – SNI 1, since 2017.
- Special Doctorate Award (PhD Honors 2014) “Premio Extraordinario del Doctorado”, University of Barcelona, 2016.
- International Doctorate Mention with Cum Laude (highest distinction), 2014.
- The city of Olot award in Natural Science, 2011.
- Special MSc Award 2011 “Premio Extraordinario del Máster de Geología”, University of Barcelona, 2013.
- Referee of “Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research”. 2015, 2016.
- Referee of “The Geological Society”. 2016.
- Awards of the “Pre-B.Sc. research study”, 2005. Entitled: “Geological study of the Montsacopa volcano”:
- Participation on the congress “EXPO SCIENCE 2006”, Tarragona, Spain, July 2006.
- “Jovenes investigadores” Awards. Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia and Research Council of Spain. Malaga, Spain, August 2005.
- “CIRIT Awards” Generalitat de Catalunya. April 28th, 2006.
- Olot Foundation of Superior Education Awards. 2005.
Membership of professional bodies
- Grupo de Peligros y Riesgos por fenómenos Naturales. IGUM – UNAM, since 2016.
- International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior, since 2012.
- Volcanology Group of Barcelona. ICTJA – CSIC, 2011-2015.