The geological and touristic value of Late Devonian – Permian (D3 – P) sedimentary formations in Northern Vietnam
Funded by Nafosted (2016-2019)
Vietnam’s upper Devonian – Permian stratigraphic level plays significant roles in geology, paleobiology and geological heritage. These formations are composed mainly of thick limestones and are distributed widely in Northern Vietnam. They relate to some important World Heritage and Global Geopark landscapes such as Ha Long Bay, Phong Nha – Kẻ Bàng National Park, and Đồng Văn Geopark Plateau.
Fossil and stratigraphic data of the upper Devonian – Permian level in Vietnam are scattered in several Vietnamese geological review papers, but have not been properly compiled and updated according to the Stratigraphic Code of Vietnam. Therefore, it is necessary to re-evaluate all fossil and stratigraphic data from previously published sources and to comprehensively update the stratigraphic assignments.
We also aim to evaluate sites with potential value for geological heritage that are related to the upper Devonian – Permian stratigraphic level, such as the chronostratigraphic Frasnian/Famennian (F/F) boundary at Xóm Nha and the karst cave system at Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park, Quảng Bình Province. We will use modern analytical methods (stable isotopes, MSEC – magnetic susceptibility Event and Cyclostratigraphy, chemical composition) to comprehensively emphasize the scientific value as well as aesthetic and educational applications.
- Jorge Mondéjar-Fernández, Thomas J. Challands, H. Nguyên Huu, P. Ta Hoa, Gaël Clément & Philippe Janvier (2020) A Lungfish (Sarcopterygii, Dipnomorpha) Tooth Plate from the Lower Devonian of Vietnam and the Onset of Modern Dipnoan Dental Organization, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 40:1, DOI: 10.1080/02724634.2020.1772274
- Tạ Hòa Phương (cb), Đặng Văn Bào, Nguyễn Thùy Dương, Nguyễn Đức Lý, Nguyễn Văn Hướng, Đinh Huy Trí, Hoàng Kim Quang, Howard Limbert, Debora Limbert, 2019. Thiên đường hang động Quảng Bình. Nhà xuất bản Đại học Quốc gia Hà Nội, 143 tr. ISBN: 978-604-968-667-2. [LINK]
- Nguyễn Thị Như Hương, Nguyễn Thùy Dương, Nguyễn Văn Hướng, Tạ Hòa Phương, 2019. Assessment of Geoheritage of Geosites in Dong Van District, Ha Giang Province – Đánh giá giá trị một số điểm di sản địa chất tiềm năng ở huyện Đồng Văn, tỉnh Hà Giang. VNU Journal of Science: Earth and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 35, No. 1 (2019) 39-52. https://doi.org/10.25073/2588-1094/vnuees.4302.
- Olivia Paschall, Sarah K. Carmichael, Peter Königshof, Johnny A. Waters, Phuong H. Ta, Toshifumi Komatsu, Allison Dombrowski, 2019. The Devonian-Carboniferous boundary in Vietnam: Sustained ocean anoxia with a volcanic trigger for the Hangenberg Crisis?. Global and Planetary Change, Vol. 175, Apr. 2019, pp. 64-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2019.01.021.
- Duong Nguyen-Thuy, Phuong Hoa Ta, Huong Nguyen-Van, Huy Van Dinh, Bao Van Dang, Nhon Hoai Dang, Huong Thi Thu Do, Anh Thi Kim Nguyen, Thanh Duc Tran, Vuong Van Bui, Anh Ngoc Nguyen, Thuy Thi Hoang (2018) Evaluation of geological heritage of geosites for a potential Geopark in Binh Thuan – Ninh Thuan coastal zone, Vietnam. Geoheritage, p1-14, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12371-018-0324-x.
- Königshof P., Katargina Narkiewocz, Phuong Hoa Ta, Sarah Carmichael, Johnny Waters, 2017. Devonian events: exemples from the eastern Palaeotethys (Si Phai section, NE Vietnam). Palaeobio Palaeoenv (2017)97: 481-496. DOI 10.1007/s12549-107-0272-5. Springer.
- Königshof P., Linnemann U., Ta Hoa Phuong, 2017. U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology of sedimentary rocks in NE Vietnam: Implication for Early and Middle Devonian Palaeogeography. Vietnam Journal of Earth Sciences, Vol 39, No 4, 303-326 (2017). [http://vjs.ac.vn/index.php/jse/article/view/10727]